FerMENTORS Series: The Rare Barrel
Regular price $12.49
The main fermentation driver in this culture is a Belgian saison strain. Beginning stages of fermentation produce classic bubblegum clove phenols.
The unique Brett character will start expressing within the first six weeks. Eventually pushing big tropical fruit and pineapple Brett character more than typical barnyard. With additional aging the pineapple character will become even more pronounced.
This culture is a reliable acidifier depending on the level of IBUs, with low levels acidifying within weeks and levels as high as 30 IBUs taking three to six months.
The Rare Barrel Culture is ideal for a wide range of Belgian and farmhouse ale styles like grisettes, saisons and American wild ales.
- Type: Yeast & lactic acid bacteria blend. Saccharomyces, Brettanomyces, and Lactobacillus cultures.
- Pitching Rate: Directly pitchable into five gallons of 1.050 or lower wort
- Estimated Attenuation: 92%-98%
- Estimated Final pH: 3.2-3.5 (unhopped), 3.8-4.0 (hopped)
- Flavor/Aroma Profile: Belgian spice, funky, sour (unhopped); varies batch-to-batch
- Flocculation: Low to medium; Higher with prolonged aging
- Recommended Fermentation Temperature: 65F-75F (18C-24C)